Ribblesdale Home at Gisburn (Frontpage)
(What's New) (Thumbnail
Index) (Refer This Site)
of two Gatehouses fronting the
of the ancetiral Lister home
Lord Ribblesdale Home
Much from Gisburn Parish and Village
This is the Georgian Country Home
of the Lister family built in the 18th century. It is located near what
is now called Gisburn Park which was the estate grounds of the family home.
The grounds were actually open to the public in the village (Gisburn) by
the Lister family and after the local deer population had been over hunted
Lord Ribblesdale had Sika deer brought in to re-populate.
At the front of the grounds Lord
Ribblesdale built two flanking gate houses one of which is featured left.
The public was allowed free access
to the grounds until 1880, when it was closed to visitors due to "continual
disorderly behaviour by drunken 'riff-raff' ".
Today the grounds are publicly owned
and once again open to the village of Gisburn. In October 1995, the Georgian
country home, was converted to an independent private hospital and rehabilitation
centre. The hospital retains much of its original character and charm,
including beautiful cornices mouldings and plaster work.
Copyright 1998-2002 all rights reversed