The ponte di Rialto (or
the Rialto bridge -- ponte meaning bridge) was built in 1588-92 by
Antonio Da Ponte. Until the nineteenth century it was the only bridge
over the Grand Canal. It replaced a wooden one previous which can
be seen in Carpaccio's painting of The Miracle of the True Cross in the
Accademia. On the bridge itself and on either side are shops that are
open during the day.
Rialto Bridge - from bridge
Virtual Tour Images 360 provided by
Virtualemotion.com -- click right mouse button to move
within image after load
Rialto Bridge - from canal side
Virtual Tour Images 360 provided by Virtualemotion.com -- after load - click right mouse button to move within image
thanks to Tommaso Esmanech of Verona, Italy, a friend of
the JSS Gallery, for offering the virtual tour.