Venice: Campo di San Rocco (Frontpage)  (Thumbnail Index)  (More on Venice)  (What's New)


The Feast Day of St. Roch
c. 1735

View: ampo di San Rocco

View: Church of San Rocco
Campo di San Rocco
Jpg: Philip Resheph

"The Scuola di San Rocco is the building on the left of the picture" -- Philip Resheph


The scuola and church of San Rocco stand at right angles to one another behind the proud apse of the Frari. The school has an elaborate and asymmetrical facade by Scarpagnino, with carved and inlaid decorations; it is not generally approved of but has an undeniable swaggering magnificence.

If you have toured the school and are in the mood for more Tintorettos (perhaps after a shot of whisky or a lie-down), look no further. Built in Venetian Renaissance style by Bartolomeo Bon from 1489 to 1508 but radically altered by Giovanni Scalfarotto in 1725, the church contains a cycle of 56 paintings by Tintoretto, who created these works between 1564 and 1581, or his school, on either side of the entrance-door, between the first and second altar on the right, and on either side of the Chancel. Nearly all are connected with the life of St Roch; the best is probably St Roch Cures the Plague Victims (Chancel, lower right). The altar-paintings are all difficult to see: even Ruskin, Tintoretto's greatest fan, was completely baffled as to their subject matter.

John Singer Sargent

Scuola di  San Rocco



By:  Natasha Wallace
Copyright 1998-2004 all rights reserved
Created 11/3/2000
Updated 4/24/2004