Venice: IL Gesuati  (Frontpage)  (More on Venice) (What's New)  (Thumbnail Index)

Jpg: University of Michigan, Department of the History of Art




IL Gesuati


Il Gesuati faces south along the Canal della Giudecca. Il Gesuati is a 18th century Renaissance church which began 1726. It is   also known as "Santa Maria dei Rosario". The church was constructed over the remains of a Dominican church. Dedicated to the Rosary, on the ceilings is a glorification of the Rosary by Tiepolo. There is also the Tintoretto’s ‘Crucifixion’ in the third chapel as well as paintings by Piazetta.

John Singer Sargent

IL Gesuati, Venice


By:  Natasha Wallace
Copyright 1998-2004 all rights reserved
Created 10/24/2001
Updated 07/29/2004